Wednesday 3 August 2016

Leaving Saiwai-ku

Just feeling a touch sentimental now that I have moved out of the dormitory into my airbnb for my last four days in Japan. I have to say that I didn't really like where the dormitory was located at first, but as time went by, I grew to appreciate it for its laidback and sub-urban feel. I'm not sure what prodded me to dust the camera off and lug it with me on the day of my Pokemon adventure, but I'm glad I did it anyway. I would never have found this verdantly green angle of the town I had been living in for four months otherwise. 

Unlike Singapore, Japan (or what I have seen of Japan) is less about manicured, government-planned landscaping than unexpected pockets of wild greenery or the colourful blooms cared for by a green-thumbed neighbour. Where I lived, residents grow flowers by the sidewalks out of styrofoam boxes. In most places in Tokyo there is not much of a footpath to speak of, much less grass patches shouldering roads. This isn't a discussion about which style is better - I think both intentional neatness and organic haphazardness have their charms.

View from Yumemigasaki Zoo Park


I walked past that field everyday to the train station 

Obligatory rusted metal against green stuff photo

Vigorous Vines

Layers

Man-made vs Natural

Omatsuri in between the buildings

Torii Gate

1 comment:

  1. Hey, as someone moving into Plume IS at the beginning of September, I just wanted to say thank you for the advice this blog has provided me on how to live and where to shop in the area!

    ReplyDelete