Tuesday 2 August 2016

Yumemigasaki Zoo Park 夢見ヶ崎動物公園

Last Friday, Pokemon Go took me to the zoo near my dormitory, a place which I would not have visited otherwise.  I have to admit I went there more for pokemon than animals, but I still managed to take breathers from virtual pokeworld long enough to take photos in the real world. I'm not that kind of a pokego addict yet. For a free zoo, it was very quiet for a Friday. Aside from the zoo's caretakers, I was probably the only human soul there that day. Not that I'm complaining. 

Yumemigasaki Zoo Park 夢見ヶ崎動物公園
Yumemigasaki Zoo

That visit was the my first zoo visit in probably ten years, and I have to say that I still don't really like zoos. I don't really get the appeal of viewing animals in captivity. It's just so much more realistic and humane to see their natural behaviour in their preferred habitats. If anything, this photo series should be titled: Animals Behind Bars. 

Yumemigasaki Zoo Park 夢見ヶ崎動物公園
Behind bars: Vultrine Guinea Fowl 

Yumemigasaki Zoo Park 夢見ヶ崎動物公園
Behind bars: Female Japanese Pheasant
I tried to snap a shot of the more colourful male, but he was too frisky.

Yumemigasaki Zoo Park 夢見ヶ崎動物公園
Behind bars: Blacktailed Prairie Dog 

Yumemigasaki Zoo Park 夢見ヶ崎動物公園
Behind Bars: Red and Green Macaw
The demeanour of this macaw was slightly depressing and creepy at the same time. It's all-knowing stare felt like it knew something about me that I didn't. All it has for a friend is the tree stump. Life as a zoo animal is sad and lonely.

Yumemigasaki Zoo Park 夢見ヶ崎動物公園
Goats 
Yumemigasaki Zoo Park 夢見ヶ崎動物公園
Behind bars: Sika Deer 
Yumemigasaki Zoo Park 夢見ヶ崎動物公園
Behind bars: Mountain Zebra
This mountain zebra was magnificent and scary. It wanted to barge out of its enclosure upon seeing me. Not sure if it was being friendly or aggressive. I think the latter. 

Yumemigasaki Zoo Park 夢見ヶ崎動物公園
Behind bars: Bolivian Squirrel Monkey
I shall let this one speak for itself. 

On a happier note, the zoo connects to a small park which reflects a much happier side of life:

Yumemigasaki Zoo Park 夢見ヶ崎動物公園
Yawning sunbathing cat

Yumemigasaki Zoo Park 夢見ヶ崎動物公園
Life is good for these cats

Yumemigasaki Zoo Park 夢見ヶ崎動物公園
A neat cuboid of intertwined Juniper trees. 
This bunch of Juniper trees was probably the highlight of the park.  From far, it just looks like a random mass of greenery, but it is absolutely beautiful when viewed from the inside.

Getting closer...
Yumemigasaki Zoo Park 夢見ヶ崎動物公園
Entrance to Narnia?

Yumemigasaki Zoo Park 夢見ヶ崎動物公園
Under the canopy 
 Sunlight filters through the branches in a way that makes for a splendid photo. If there were benches inside, I could imagine myself spending some quality time with a book and the rustling whisper of leaves under that canopy.

Yumemigasaki Zoo Park 夢見ヶ崎動物公園
Happy humans
If I had discovered this park earlier, I would have planned several picnics under that tree by now. That family seemed like they were having a really good time. This just goes to show that even in a concrete jungle like Tokyo, there are serene green spots where one can just kick off the shoes, seek shade under trees, and enjoy the breeze. 

It is interesting how Pokemon Go, a game that revolves around virtual reality, can actually make me get off my lazy butt and more in touch with the real world.  That is, at least as long as my phone battery lasts.

Click here for park access instructions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment